Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"The Book Group"


Last night was a good night for me. I tumbled into bed in the typical fashion one would expect from a swinging, single, cosmopolitan, New York City gal. With a bladder full of Nighttime Theraflu, I knocked off a couple chapters from European footballer George Best's autobiography, popped in a French language instruction tape, and engaged to drift off to sleep. Instead, I found myself roaring with laughter and thumping my pillow. I said "thumping". Instead of crying into my pillow like one normally does--(RIGHT? who's with me?), my loyal pillow was the lucky recipient of hearty guffaws and punches brought on by the memory of one the scenes from my new favorite not-so-new show: "The Book Group". "The Book Group" originally aired for two seasons in 2002-2003, on Channel 4 in the UK, but is now showing here, in America, on the Ovation Channel. Now, I don't know how, but some people hate the Ovation channel, so they may be skeptical of the show. How can a person hate a channel that follows fledgling actors pursuing their dreams, or features shows that set out to decipher the mysteries behind the world's most famous paintings? HOW, I challenge you?! I digress. "The Book Group," which was written and directed by Annie Griffin and stars Anne Dudek, is a show about an American woman, who upon recently moving to Glasgow starts a book club ostensibly to make friends. A motley crew of folks show up at the first meeting and hilarity ensues. The show had me laughing out loud. Oh, yeah. I was doing a whole lot of lol'ing, people--all night long.

"The Book Group" airs Monday nights at 8pm ET on Ovation TV channel (channel 83 Time Warner Cable of NYC).

No comments: